A research request was recently provided to OS AI from an equity backed mid-tier systems integration and CMS SPARC IDIQ Prime looking for details related to a potential 2023 recompete of this Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services contract to support maintenance and a modernization for this mission critical set of applications.
We at OrangeSlices AI do believe in the need for more and better-informed competition, so provided below are 1) opportunity details provided by the requestor; 2) some key points of contact; 3) related pursuit/capture data; and 4) when possible, projected odds of this contract going back to the incumbent.
Competitive Details (if known) related to the predecessor contract:
- Funding Agency: HHS / Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Incumbent: Peraton, by way of its acquisition of a Northrop Grumman IT Business Unit
- Contract Vehicle: This was competed as full and open on the CMS SPARC IDIQ.
- Expected Competition Date: 2023 – date tbd
- Contract Details and Spend to Date for Award ID 75FCMC19F0001
OS AI Note: This contract is set to expire in early 2024. If re-competed, any solicitation is likely to be released in late 2023.
Scope: “A focus for the predecessor CMS Medicare Enrollment and Premium Billing System (MEPBS) contract was to support ongoing maintenance and also modernization of the MEPBS applications. In addition, CMS is automating manual business processes and replacing batch file submissions and data dissemination. “
As detailed in the related OIT – Beneficiary in the Cloud document below, BIC was to play a role in one of the first steps towards modernizing and migrating to the cloud of the Medicare Enrollment and Premium Billing Systems (MEPBS). BIC is “a strategic CMS initiative to minimize and eventually eliminate redundancy, latency and inconsistency in beneficiary information used by systems and business partners supporting the Medicare Program. The goal of the project is to utilize a highly available and scalable cloud-based platform to make Medicare Beneficiary Information available in real time to various Medicare systems and business partners. Changes to beneficiary information during MEPBS transaction processing will be propagated to a cloud-based data repository in real time thereby eliminating latency. The beneficiary information in the cloud-based repository will be accessible to authorized partners via an Application Programming Interface (API).”
** Please note that OS AI will not speculate here as to the accuracy of any scope details provided and/or any current plans related to the timing, details, and likelihood of any recompete.
- CMS Medicare Enrollment and Premium Billing System (MEPBS) wins Innovation Award, May 17, 2022
- OIT – Beneficiary in the Cloud: The MEPBS Migration to the Cloud, page 4, August 8, 2019
- Veritas Capital to Acquire the Federal IT and Mission Support Services Business of Northrop Grumman, December 7, 2020
- 20+ Federal CMS Focused Companies drawing a lot of attention this Summer, October 2022
- Org Chart – CMS Approved Leadership as of August 25, 2022
- FY2023 CMS Congressional Justification of Estimates for CMS
- HHS Employee Directory
- Find the latest CMS Procurement Forecast here – updated October 3, 2022
- ** Recently Published: New Small Business Alliances formed for some leading GovCon companies in FY 2022
- 3 New Joint Ventures to watch in FY2023, especially if you cover VA T4NG, IRS and/or CMS
Sample of Key Potential Points of Contact (current or past):
- Dawn Wilkins, Contracts, CMS – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tiara Freeman, Contracts, CMS – email@example.com
- Tammy Johnson, IT Technical Advisor, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Lakshmi Manambedu, former Chief Architect for MEPBS, and current President/ Chief Solutions Architect for Promiade Solutions
- Omer Khan, Sr. Director of CMS Health Benefits Programs, Peraton
What are the odds of the incumbent company winning this contract as a Prime again?
The OS AI Bot calculates the odds the incumbent wins this contract back is 55%.
OS AI Notes: There were only two bidders last time and NG/Peraton is a longtime incumbent on this program. The acquisition by Peraton of the NG Business Unit is likely to drive more competitors doing their due diligence and may result in this getting past a few additional gates.
Looking for an 8(a), WOSB, HUBZone or SDVOSB to partner with at CMS? Click Here
You can filter the list by several key indicators, to include socio-economic status, NAICS, Contract vehicle, etc.
If you are a small business with capabilities and socio-economic status that might support this effort, comment below and we will add you to the list.
Firms drawing the most attention:
Included below is a list of the large and small companies we have noted as drawing the most views by Government and industry leaders on the OrangeSlices AI consultant directory over the past week and that bring direct past performance and/or related relationships in support of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- A Square Group
- Index Analytics
- iTech AG
- HighPoint Digital
- RELI Group
- LeCor Technology Services
- 4A Consulting
- ICF / SemanticBits
- Agile Six
- Ad Hoc
- Explore Digits
We cannot and will not speculate here as to the reasons for the increased interest, but whether it is a company evaluating them as a potential partner; a federal acquisition leader doing their due diligence; or a consultant weighing their next job move, this group of companies has been receiving increased interest.
Please note that the research requestor for this item received a Premium OS AI Opp Segment report including 1) known details about how/if/when/where this contract will be competed; 2) a list of the top companies that are in position to win today (as well as those who have been making key investments and moves of late to position for a win); and 3) a detailed list of the top potential opportunity influencers any potential bidder will want to get to know.
About OrangeSlices AI
Developed by a team of government and industry contracting subject matter experts, the OrangeSlices AI data driven platform is a publicly available searchable listing of the top information technology and consulting services contractors doing business with the Federal government today. Driven by a robust and comprehensive set of authoritative and trusted data sources, the OS.ai tool is intended to help government and industry leaders find the right partner to help deliver on the important missions of the Federal government. Learn more about how you can engage with OS AI here.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?